Learn to make Limoncello at home with this easy recipe, using neutral spirits or vodka combined with store-bought ingredients!
Makes: 1 L
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Note: Final ABV will vary depending on ABV of neutral spirit used.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 8 Lemons
- 500 ml (25 US fl oz) Homemade or store-bought neutral spirit or vodka (80-95%)
- 500 ml Water (if your tap water tastes OK, it should be fine, otherwise use spring water)
- 3/4 cup (150 g/5.3 oz) White Sugar
- Coffee Filter (optional)
- 1 L Bottle (or smaller bottles equal to 1 liter, for storage in the freezer)
- 750 ml Jar (or a jar large enough to add 500 ml neutral spirit and lemon peels)
- Peel 8 lemons - try not to get too much of the white pith as this will make it bitter.
- Combine the lemon peel with 500 ml (25 US fl oz) neutral spirit in a 750ml jar. Seal and steep for at least 4 days at room temperature, out of direct sunlight. (Leaving it longer will make for a stronger flavour.)
- In a saucepan, stir 1 cup (250mL) of water with 3/4 cup (150g) white sugar over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
- Sterilise a 1 L bottle by running it underwater so it is wet before placing in the microwave, on high power, for 1 minute. Be careful about removing it as it will be very hot.
- Carefully pour your jar contents into a bottle (through a mesh filter or coffee filter if possible) leaving the lemon peels behind.
- Pour the sugar syrup into your bottle, your 500 ml of clean water, seal, and gently shake to mix.
- Place your bottle in the freezer and enjoy when cold! Limoncello is best served straight from the freezer in a shot glass or with ice and sparkling water or tonic.